Did you believe that only landmark anniversaries need to be celebrated? Think again. Each year together is a cause for celebration. And, look at it this way; the ninth wedding anniversary is just one year shy of the landmark 10th year. So, that makes the 9th very special indeed! And, all things considered, nine years of being married to the same person is certainly a milestone in its own right, given the blink-and-miss nuptials that have become common these days.
As with all significant occasions in one’s life, giving gifts to celebrate the moments is an inescapable ritual. And the husband who is staring at the wrong end of the gift giving stick (so to speak) has to combat stress concerning giving the appropriate gift and trying to better the previous year’s record.
Even if you consider yourself creatively-challenged, fret not. All anniversary years have a handy list of traditional and contemporary gifts along with the distinctive flower and gemstone for the year. Choose one theme or let your creative juices flow and do a bit of everything for her this year.
Here are nine super gift ideas for your 9th wedding anniversary:
1. The traditional gifts for the ninth year are willow and pottery. Willow represents a delicate strength while pottery symbolises beauty and creativity. So, how about commissioning the local wood craftsman and getting a specially designed willow chair or table or even a bookshelf, if she’s into reading? Personalise a willow gift by having a tender message carved for her on it.
2. Or, if willow isn’t quite your style, then get funky with pottery. If she’s into collectibles, give her a whole array of beautiful and exquisite clay pots of all shapes and sizes and painted in colourful motifs. Or, give her a customised ceramic vase, with her name written on the outside and nine ceramic roses inside.
3. Whisk her off on an exotic holiday to Tuscany, Italy. Delightfully romantic, picturesque and the home of some of the most exquisite ceramic pottery in the world. She can actually see the artisans at work and pick up some locally made pieces to flaunt in her living room.
4. Okay, so we all have our likes and dislikes. If neither of these two does it for you, fall back upon the modern alternative – leather. Always, classy, always elegant and never out of style, leather is the texture for all seasons. In fact, you’ll be spoilt for choices when it comes to leather. Leather handbags, purses, clutches and jewellery boxes – all a perennial favourite for most discerning women (and she is one of them). Leather-bound organisers are a life-saver for the working woman.
5. You are lucky in the jewellery department as well this year. The ninth year has not one, but two, distinctive gemstones – Tiger Eye and Lapis Lazuli. Both are attractive gemstones and look great when teamed with sterling silver. Maybe a lapis lazuli pendant set in the shape of a nine or a tiger eye bracelet imitating the number nine would look superb.
6. Nine customised chocolate bars for her, each with a special message carved on it for her, ranging from ‘I love you’, ‘You make my life complete’ to ‘Thank you for being in my life’, are all guaranteed to get her all misty-eyed.
7. Nine hand-made cards, scattered in strategic locations all over the house and where you know she’ll see them. Stick memorable photographs on each, use colourful, glitter ink to write your feelings for her. Place one under her pillow, one in her handbag, one on the kitchen counter and so on. A trail of nine heart-warming surprises will definitely set the tone for the day.
8. A nine-course meal for her. Either cook for her yourself, or make arrangements at her favourite restaurant and have the chef line up nine of her all-time fav dishes for that special dinner you have planned for her.
9. Nine days of unadulterated romance. If you have the mooloah, take her on a slightly extended mini break that lasts nine days. Spend that time to savour each other’s uninterrupted company, sans irritating office emails, official phone calls and social networking urges. Give her your undivided attention and recapture the magic and romance of the early years.
Romance is always the key to put a smile on your woman’s face. No matter how silly it may seem to you, serenading under her window even after nine years of marriage will have her over the moon!